lørdag 22. mars 2014

Messy, messy job

The time had come for me to try and make a mould out of the masks that I had previously applied liquid plastic on. I thought this would be fairly easy, but nooooo. An incredibly curious dog and a little girls that absolutely wanted to participated made the job a lot more of a mess that it needed be.

 Here I have all the supplies ready. It was a bit of a struggle to try and find a bowl that was big enough to submerge the mask. You can see one mask is already in, and the other is waiting on the side.

Here I have both in, finally. I think I spilled the plaster at least 10 times, just a bit mind you, trying to keep track of the dog and the little girl who wanted to see what mommy was doing.  The dog managed to get a plaster in her fur so I had to clean that, and then my little girl "helped" me by pouring the plaster in the bowl.......

Then came the tricky part. I had to make sure that the shapes didn't get stuck to bad in the plaster. Here is a picture of me using a spoon to gently break the almost dry plaster off the mask.

Here you can see the mask is free, but I left it in the plaster to make sure that the plaster got the right shape. 

 Here is the mask free of the mould.

Here is the mould by itself. The plan is to pour liquid plastic into the mould and then be able to make masks for the children that they can paint and have fun with.

 Here is the  mould and the plastic mask

I am rather proud of this as I have never done anything like this before. I now know a lot more, so I hope the next similar project will be easier. I am looking forward to trying to make plastic masks soon, but I will wait to make sure that the plaster is completely dry and also paint it to try and make sure that the plastic coating doesn't stick to hard to the plaster surface. 

mandag 17. mars 2014

Trying to make plastic moulds

I have 4 children. The boys, 8 - 10 - 12, are getting a bit too old to enjoy being creative with their mother. They are more concerned with games and playing legos and stuff like that. However, they do love to paint and also to be allowed to run amok in all my crafts thing.
Now the boys wanted to make masks, and of course my little girl, 3 years old, wanted to do the same. And if I have to keep buying masks for them to paint, then I would be broke before the end of the week. They are surprisingly expensive. So I bought two masks and then I use a liquid plastic stuff to try and make a mould. I don't really know if it worked yet as I have to add a lot of layers.
I am a bit pessimistic at the moment, as I think that the plastic liquid has really stuck to the base. Hopefully it will work, but I will keep adding more layers.

Here is what it looks like today.

fredag 14. mars 2014

Grey, gold and blue necklace

I am loving this Kumihimo braiding, although it does take bit of time. Especially as I have to redo the braid ever so often in order to fix mistakes.
But here are a couple of pictures of my last project:

Here you can see the beading plate. I was extremely glad when I got the bobbins, the little plastic circles that helped med avoid tangles. I had so tangles at the start that it wasn't even funny!

 Here is the finished product. The grey thread is velvet and then there is a gold colored wire braided in.

I don't know if you see it here, but is very nice up close :-)

lørdag 8. mars 2014

Necklace in pink

Finished a couple of necklaces. One I had finished before, but I wanted a new picture, and one, the pink, is new.

fredag 7. mars 2014

Pink delight

I had these beads that I felt were a bit pale on their own. So I added some wires, and now I am very happy with the result!

søndag 2. mars 2014

Learning a new technique

I have spent a lot of time this week learning to do kumihimo patterns. I hope the spelling is the same in English as it is in Norwegian.
It is lots of fun, but also a bit frustrating as even the smallest of mistakes can mess up a braid and at least at the moment I can not see the mistake until after I have finished the braid.
I have ordered a couple of bobbins I think they are called that help keep the threads in check. I have found that this is an absolute must! At least with the thinner thread and the wires. So here are a couple of examples of what I have made so far. A bit rough still, but fun!

This is a fairly thick thread. It is easy to work with, but the result is a bit massive. 

 I don't know if it is possible to see, but there is actually a metal wire braided in with the black thread. Fun, but the wire seemed to have a life of its own.

 This is the one I was most pleased with. This is all metal wires, purple and grey. The colours look wonderful with each other and the overall look was very nice.
I have decided to make this into a necklace and I have added a pendant in similar colors.